Y.BHG DATO’ MAH SIEW KEONG
OPENING OF INTRADE MALAYSIA AND KLITF 2010
9 NOVEMBER 2010
Yang Berhormat Dato’ Sri Mustapa Mohamed
Minister of International Trade and Industry
Yang Berbahagia Dato’ Noharuddin Nordin
Chief Executive Officer of MATRADE
Members of the Media,
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am glad to welcome all of you to the opening ceremony of one of the major trade events that is organized by MATRADE. This is one of the major functions that I am addressing since assuming the post as the Chairman of MATRADE in September this year. I would like to thank the Minister of International Trade and Industry, MITI, YB Dato’ Sri Mustapa Mohamed for this appointment. I also would like to welcome and thank him for his presence at today’s event.
Ladies and Gentlemen
2. When International Trade Malaysia, INTRADE was first conceived in 2007, Malaysia recognized the need to have a platform for promoting the wide range of products and services offered by companies in Malaysia and the region. There was also a requirement for a venue for international buyers to converge in the region for identifying and procuring their sourcing needs. After three years in the running, INTRADE remains relevant to fulfill the business needs of all parties. This is evident by the positive response received from both local and international exhibitors to INTRADE 2010, as well as the large number of buyers that are participating in the Incoming Buying Mission (IBM) programme organized in conjunction with INTRADE.
3. This year at INTRADE, there are 342 companies with a total of 380 booths exhibiting products from ten (10) industry sectors including the services sector. I am especially glad to note the large number of SMEs participating at INTRADE, indicating their awareness and realization of the need to internationalize their businesses in order to expand their market share.
4. The participation by companies from the Asian region including Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan and UAE is very encouraging. These countries recognize that INTRADE serves as an effective springboard for their companies to promote products and services to the regional and international markets.
5. A special feature of this year’s exhibition is FTA@INTRADE. This programme is aimed at enhancing the knowledge on FTAs among the business communities, in particular the SMEs. To date, Malaysia has concluded 4 bilateral FTAs namely with Japan, Pakistan, New Zealand and Chile and 6 regional FTAs between ASEAN and the following partners:
• ASEAN-New Zealand
6. To all Malaysian companies present, I encourage you to avail yourself to the opportunities offered under the FTA. During this three days event, please visit the FTA information counter where you can make enquiries, seek clarifications and advise from officers from MITI and its agencies, as well as from FTA partner countries on how to leverage on these trade agreements to increase your export competitiveness and market share.
Ladies and Gentlemen
7. In conjunction with INTRADE, the fourth Kuala Lumpur International Trade Forum (KLITF) will be organized on the 11th of November. While the exhibition provides an effective avenue for companies to showcase their products and services, the KLITF will provide further value to the business community. With the exchange of useful experiences by companies especially in managing their businesses in a challenging and unusual environment, I am sure will help you in managing your business operations. I would like to thank all the distinguished speakers for accepting the invitation to deliver the keynote address and make presentations at KLITF 2010.
8. A very important component of INTRADE is the Incoming Buying Mission (IBM) programme that is coordinated by MATRADE through its network of 40 offices overseas. I understand that this year, more than 700 buyers from 58 countries are participating in the IBM. Yesterday, over 5000 business meetings had been conducted and 2000 more meetings are scheduled for the IBM session in the afternoon today. More than 600 Malaysian companies are participating in the business meetings over the two days. In this regard, I would like to urge Malaysian companies to follow up on all trade leads received and contacts made during the one-to-one business meetings as well as the enquiries received during the exhibition to realize the export potentials.
Ladies and Gentlemen
9. At today’s official opening ceremony, we will be witnessing the exchange of MOU between MATRADE and the British Malaysian Chamber of Commerce. This MOU will further strengthen the bilateral relations between the UK and Malaysia. This is yet another initiative by MATRADE to collaborate with the private sector, Chambers and Associations to seek opportunities for Malaysian exporters. Before I end, allow me to also bid a very warm welcome to all our guests, foreign exhibitors, buyers, participants and members of the media to Malaysia.