MARKET DEVELOPMENT GRANT (MDG) NOW SUPPORTS VIRTUAL EXPORT INITIATIVES
What is MDG?
The Market Development Grant (MDG) is an export support initiative in the form of a reimbursable grant. MDG was introduced in 2002 with the objective of assisting exporters in their efforts to promote Malaysian made products or services globally. The lifetime limit of MDG is RM300,000 and it is specifically formulated for Malaysian SME Companies, Professional Service Providers, Trade and Industry Associations, Chambers of Commerce, Professional Bodies and Co-operatives.
In 2020, export initiatives under MDG was further expanded to include recognised international Virtual Events, including virtual trade exhibitions and virtual trade missions, where business-to-business (B2B) meetings are an integral part of these virtual events.
[Note: MDG reimbursements are subject to the availability of the government funds]
What are Virtual Events?
Virtual Events for the purpose of MDG is defined as an internationally recognised trade promotion activity held on a web platform, in a virtual venue that enables business interaction between people and entities, through online interactive tools. Smart phones, tablets, laptops and computer desktops are the most common tools used for this virtual interaction.
What Activities Are Eligible For Grant Funding?
- Participation in International Trade Fairs or Exhibitions held locally/oversea
- Participation in Trade & Investment Missions (TIM) or Export Acceleration Missions (EAM)
- Participation in International Conferences Held Overseas
- Listing Fees for Made in Malaysia Products in Supermarkets or Hypermarkets or Retail Centres or Boutique Outlets Located Overseas
- Participation in Virtual International Trade Fairs In Malaysia Or Overseas
- Participation In Business To Business (B2B) Meetings Related To Virtual Trade Investment Missions And Export Acceleration Missions
How Do I Submit My New Application Of Claims Or Request For Reimbursement Of Expenses?
- All COMPLETED applications MUST be SUBMITTED ONLINE through MATRADE’s website at www.matrade.gov.my/mdg/
- Submissions for reimbursements must be made within 30 calendar days from the last date of the promotion activity
For more information, please download information as per link below:
Market Development Grant (MDG) 2020
Market Development Grant (MDG) Virtual Events 2020
- All documents must be submitted online
- All claim documents MUST be under:
- Company’s name
- If it is under the name of an individual, the name must be listed in the list of directors or shareholders or in EPF statement
- * Submission of claim documents under names other than company or authorised individuals will not be accepted.
- MDG Guidelines for Virtual Events is applicable for activities undertaken from 1 July 2020 and is subject to change from time to time.