The following policy explains the general terms of how Malaysia External Trade Development Corporation (MATRADE) (referred to as “we”, “us” or “our”) collect and process your personal data.
MATRADE is committed to the protection of your personal data and compliance to the Personal Data Protection Act 2010 ("PDPA") and any other applicable laws and regulations governed in Malaysia and outside Malaysia. By providing your personal data to us, you acknowledge and consent for your personal data being processed by us and to be disclosed to third parties according to this policy.
Collection of Personal Data
MATRADE collects your personal data in the course of your dealings with us. The personal data collected by us may include but are not limited, to the following:
- Name and identification number
- Contact information
- Email address
- House Address
- Banking information
- Passport number and details
- Information of your company (including name, address, registration number, business interests)
MATRADE also collects personal data in relation to its role as an employer including contact details, date of birth, qualifications, skills, health information and salary details. In the course of browsing MATRADE’s website and its online services, MATRADE collects the Internet Protocol (IP) address and cookies.
Ways of Collecting Personal Data
We may collect the personal data through various methods and channels including but not limited to:
- Through your verbal and written communication with us
- Communication with you via electronics means
- From third party connected with you, such as employers, contractors, agents, subject to your prior consent.
Use of Personal Data
MATRADE may process the personal data collected for the purposes that are necessary or related to its functions and activities, including (but not limited to) the following:
- To promote, assist and develop Malaysia’s external trade with particular emphasis on the export of manufactured and semi-manufactured products and, on a selective basis, imports
- To formulate and implement a national export marketing strategy to promote the export of manufactured and semi-manufactured products
- To undertake commercial intelligence and market research and create a comprehensive database of information for the improvement and development of trade
- To organize training programmes to improves the international marketing skills of the Malaysian exporters
- To enhance and protect Malaysia’s international trade interests abroad
- To represent Malaysia in any international forum in respect of any matter relating to trade
- To develop, promote, facilitate and assist in the service areas related to trade
- To advise the Government on matters affecting or in any way connected with trade and to act as the agent of the Government or for any person, body or organization on such matters
- To do all such other matters and things as may be incidental to or consequential upon the discharge of its functions
If you do not provide us with your personal data, we may not be able to provide you with our services or respond to any enquiries or requests you submit to us.
Your personal data may be shared where necessary so as to serve you. An example might be in terms of resolving or addressing complaints that require escalation to other Government agencies. MATRADE will not share your personal data with non-Government entities, except where such entities have been authorized to carry out specific Government services.
We may also disclose your personal data to local and overseas recipients when performing our functions and/or activities.
Your personal data will be retained for the purposes to which it was collected and processed, or to comply with any legal, regulatory or internal requirements. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that all personal data is destroyed or permanently deleted if it is no longer required for the purpose for which it was collected and processed.
You have a right to request for access to and correction of your personal data. You may also withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal data. To make these requests, or if you have any questions or complaints about how we handle your personal data, please communicate with MATRADE in writing at the postal or email address below:
Jalan Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah
50480 Kuala Lumpur,
(Attention: Head, Exporters Advisory Unit)
Keeping Your Personal Data Secure
We use appropriate security measures to protect your personal data. Where we consider necessary or appropriate, we may transfer the personal data to a third party appointed by MATRADE within or outside Malaysia, under similar level of security measures for the purpose of data storage, backup or processing.
Link to Other Websites
Changes to This Policy
Last updated : 25 May 2018