What is it?
BEDP is another specialised export support program targeted specifically for Bumiputera companies. Started in 2004, it is almost identical and is managed along the same lines as the WEDPand YEDP. It is also a three-year program with the objective of growing competitive and sustainable Bumiputera exporters.
Who can apply?
Eligible applicants are Bumiputera-owned companies with a majority or at least 51% equity owned by Bumiputera. The CEO and/or Managing Director should be a Bumiputera. Applicants must be classified as a Small and Medium Enterprise (SME), in operation for at least three years, attained an acceptable level of market recognition/prominence in the Malaysian domestic market, and have a designated business premises or manufacturing facility.
Shortlisted applicants will be audited and assessed by a committee of entities, including PUNB, MARA, TERAJU, MITI and MATRADE. Assessments will be made after a site visit, interviews with management, as well as a tally of the scores attained on the Exporter's Readiness and Capability Assessment (ERCA) Model.
Expenses it supports and benefits of being in the programme:
Exactly like WEDP, the Bumiputera Exporters Development Programme (BEDP) comprise of several support initiatives including skills enhancement training, leadership and entrepreneurial development, network and mentoring sessions, customised business coaching and international business exposure and market immersions.
Companies in BEDP are also introduced to opportunities and competition in the international market and are given some financial support in the form of assisted visits to international trade fairs or any other international trade promotion event that fits their needs. BEDP companies are also granted a level of free participation in MATRADE-organised seminars and workshops throughout the three-year programme.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Must be Bumiputera-owned companies with majority or at least 51% of equity of the company owned by Bumiputera. The Bumiputera shareholding in the company can be held by either an individual or a group of Bumiputera shareholders.
- The Chief Executive Officer and/or Managing Director must be a Bumiputera . As the BEDP focuses on nurturing and developing favourable traits in the main person or the entrepreneur, the stipulation for the top leadership position (CEO/MD/or COO) to be a Bumiputera is actually rather crucial. This is because the top individual will be the one making the critical decisions and deciding on the direction of the company.
- The company must fall under the new definition of a small and medium enterprise (SME).
- The company must be in operation for a minimum of three years and has a certain level of market footprint/presence/share/dominance locally.
- Companies dealing with merchandise goods or services must have a designated business premise or manufacturing facility with a dedicated address and not a PO Box. Bumiputera-owned companies based in Sabah and Sarawak can be given special consideration for the BEDP, on the basis of diversifying regional socio-economic growth.
- Bumiputera companies which are involved in technology-driven, high value-added and knowledge-based industries can be given preference. These types of industries include high-precision parts manufacturing, biotechnology, biomedical engineering, animation and advance surveillance systems etc.